The intersection of family and business generates a unique set of questions for family business directors. We’ve culled through our years of experience working with family businesses of every shape and size to identify the twelve questions that are most likely to trigger sleepless nights for directors. Those questions are:
- How Do We Promote Positive Shareholder Engagement?
- How Do We Communicate More Effectively with Shareholders?
- Does Our Dividend Policy Fit?
- To Invest or Not to Invest?
- Should We Diversify?
- Does Father Always Know Best?
- How Do We Find Our Next Leader?
- Is There a Ticking Time Bomb Lurking in Our Family Business?
- What Is the Family’s Most Valuable Asset?
- What Should We Do About Estate Taxes?
- How Should We Respond to an Acquisition Offer?
- Who’s In and Who’s Out?
The 12 Questions That Keep Family Business Directors Awake at Night summarizes some of our thoughts, experiences, and insights around each question and suggests possible next steps.
Perhaps more importantly, though, it is an invitation to join our ongoing conversation about the questions family business directors need to think about. That conversation continues on our blog, Family Business Director, where we explore these and other topics of interest to family business directors.
Mercer Capital provides sophisticated financial advisory services to family businesses, including:
- Advisory services for family business directors
- Financial consulting services for family business managers
- Independent valuation opinions
- Transaction advisory services
- Confidential shareholder surveys
- Benchmarking / business intelligence services
- Shareholder engagement support
- Shareholder communication support