David Smith, Senior Vice President, has over 20 years of business valuation experience and has been involved with hundreds of valuation and related engagements. He values businesses, business interests, and intangible assets for financial reporting, corporate tax, corporate M&A, employee stock ownership plans, and gift and estate tax purposes.
He is a senior member of Mercer Capital’s Financial Reporting Valuation Group, providing public and private clients with fair value opinions and related assistance pertaining to goodwill and other intangible assets, stock-based compensation, and illiquid financial assets.
Noteworthy industry experience includes financial services, oil and gas as well as biotechnology. David is a regular contributor to Mercer Capital’s Energy Valuation Insights Blog.
Prior to joining Mercer Capital, David was a partner of HSSK, LLC, a business valuation, litigation consulting, and financial restructuring firm in Houston, Texas. David began his valuation career in the 1990s with Howard Frazier Barker Elliott, Inc.
- The American Society of Appraisers
- Business Valuation Committee (2011 to 2014)
- Houston Chapter, President (2008 to 2009)
- Houston Chapter, Board Member (2005 to 2010 and 2014 to present)
- The CFA Institute
- CFA Society of Houston
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Houston Estate and Financial Forum
- Houston Business and Estate Planning Council
- The Financial Consulting Group
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (The American Society of Appraisers)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (The CFA Institute)
- University of Houston-Clear Lake, Houston, Texas (MBA)
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas (BBA, Finance)